Nanoimprint lithography was originally considered as a low-cost, versatile, high-resolution patterning alternative for optical lithography. It can be applied to versatile fields of working with versatile benefits. Today, we will do an elaborate discussion about the application and benefits of Nanoimprinting lithography.
Applications: Nanoimprint lithography is applied to fabricate devices for electrical, photonic, optical and biological purposes.
- For electrical devices, lithography is used to fabricate MOSFET and O-TFT (single electron memory).
- For Optical and Photonic applications, the lithography is used to fabricate the subwavelength resonant grating filter SERS sensor, polarizers, wave plate, anti-reflective structures, plasmonic devices, and integrated photonic circuits.
- For Opto-Electronic applications like LEDs and Solar cells, this technology is being used for out and in-coupling structures.
- For Biological purposes, Nanoimprinting lithography is used to fabricate the sub 10 nm nanofluidic channels. Also, it is used in DNA stretching experiment.
Benefits: Practically there are many benefits of Nanoimprinting lithography.
- First of all, the technology is way too simple to use and implement.
- It is cost-effective. The only high-cost requirement is the optical lithography tool which is used to print the circuit patterns. But there is no need for high energy radiation sources with a nanoimprint tool. Also, it does not require finely tailored photoresists. And, because of the simplified structure of requirements, the technology costs low.
- Its priority of using nickel molds has records of lasting ten thousand cycles of imprinting. So it is like maximum outputs with minimum inputs.
- The lithography consists of the three-dimensional patterning process. The final imprints replicate both the layers with one single step of imprinting. This results in reducing manufacturing costs and giving the best output.
- Materials with varying properties do fine with imprint lithography. Also, the materials do not need to be finely tuned or in high resolution to be used for this process.
Now it is apparent that generally, Nanoimprinting lithography has a great capability for nanotechnology. Research is going on in different fields to develop measurement platforms that quantify the quality of the pattern or feature that has been fabricated by Nanoimprinting lithography. The way of Nanoimprinting’s processing has a clear impact on the shape and properties of the imprinted materials.
So these are some general pointers about the application and benefits of Nanoimprint lithography. There’s much more to this technology. We hope we have been able to provide you enough knowledge.